Sunday, October 9, 2011

Weekend Getaway

I decided it was time that Jeremy and I had a little getaway from our boys. (That we love so very much, but drive us crazy sometimes). My parents were nice enough to take them for the weekend, so I got busy planning a fun weekend for Jeremy and I. I first thought I would surprise Jeremy, but he had to know somethings like that he needed to ask for work off on Friday and to take care of church responsibility's for Sunday, so I ended up telling him.

Friday we dropped Ethan and James off in Lava with my mom and headed down to Utah. After checking into our hotel we got some food at IN-AND-OUT Burger then we were off for some fun at Lagoon. I had not been to Lagoon in eight years! It was the first night of Frightmares, so they had fun Halloween decorations up, and people dressed in costumes. We loved going and riding all of the rides with out having to take turns watching kids with other adults. (We appreciate those who do watch our kids and don't mind taking turns when we have our kids with us, but it was nice to just go on a ride and not have to worry about kids.) Another benefit of going during Frightmares was that everyone was standing in line for the haunted houses, so no lines. We just walked straight on to every ride all night long. The second ride we went on was the cliffhanger. Yes, we got wet! Not the best ride to go on in the evening. Thankfully it was actually a nice night. 
We also rode the White Roller Coaster (2 times) Spider (3 times), Wild Mouse (2 times), Wicked (3 times), Colossus: The Fire Dragon (3 times), Music Express, Centennial Screamer (This one turned my stomach. I don't usually have that happen on rides. I must be getting old.), Sky Ride, Samurai, Bat, BomBora, Jet Star 2, Terroride and Boomerang. I really don't like the Rocket so I wait while Jeremy went on Blast Off and Re-entry. We also went through one of the haunted houses (Deception) and watched a show. We had a lot of fun, so much fun that we did not take any photos. Once we got back to our hotel we soaked in the hot tub to warm up.

Saturday morning we got up. Had breakfast at the hotel and got ready to go to the Salt Lake Temple to do an endowment session. We thought we would go to the 11 a.m. session, but when we got in the car we realized that our clock in our room was off. It was a good thing too, because we would have missed going to the temple. I knew the temple was closing early, but I did not thing quite as early as it did. We made it to the 10 a.m. session (the last session for the day) because our clock in the room was off. I really love being in the temple, and the Salt Lake Temple is so beautiful. I could really feel the spirit as the session started.

After the temple session we headed to Bruges Waffles & Frites for lunch. We had seen this place on Man vs. Food and wanted to go. Let me tell you it did not disappoint. We shared a Machine Gun Sandwich that was good, but the waffle with homemade whip cream and raspberry's was heavenly. I wish Bruges was closer because I love it so much. (It's probably a good thing its not close. I think I would eat to many waffles.)

When we finally finished every last crumb of lunch we went up Big Cottonwood Canyon. (Okay, we kind of got mixed up and drove up Little Cottonwood Canyon first. For those of you that live down in this area I know they are not super close together. Don't ask! It was a nice drive anyway.) We went on a hike to Donut Falls. It was so nice to get out side and enjoy the fall colors before they are gone, and the water fall was really beautiful. Because we did not have our kids with us we could climb up the rock to the top of the waterfall.

After enjoying nature we went to Desert Star Playhouse to watch HUNK-cules: I'm Too Sexy For My Toga. I don't think Jeremy was to excited about this play, but he was nice enough to go with out complaining. I actually thought it was very funny and laughed out loud many times.

Finally it was time for our big dinner at the Melting Pot. We had never been before, so we thought we would give it a try. It is definitely not something you can rush through we were there for a long time. But, we had fun talking and just being together.

That night we stayed at The Little America Hotel. We were so impressed with how nice it was, and it smelled great with all the bouquets of real flowers. We were on the top floor, so we had a great view.

Sunday morning we had a wonderful breakfast delivered to our room. It was way too much food for us to eat.

We went to the 2nd ward in Salt Lake. They had such a beautiful church with stained glass windows of the first vision. This was one of the first churches built in Salt Lake. After church we walked around temple square and had a picnic lunch in the Brigham Young Historic Park. Then we headed back to Idaho to get our boys. It was such a nice trip, but I have to say I missed my boys and was ready to see them.
 
Thanks Mom and Dad for taking such good care of them while we were gone.

4 comments:

wendy lee said...

So fun, and you gave me so many ideas for when David and I get to sneak away some time. You guys are so cute.

Mark & Shayla said...

That sounds like so much fun. I think I will call you and get your help next time I am ready to plan a vacation!

michele said...

I am really impressed with your planning and follow through. For our second anniversary we only went out to dinner. I will steal some of your ideas for sometime in the future. I'm glad that you had such a good time.

Shelley Patterson said...

What a fun getaway both for you and your husband, and the girls getaway post as well! So jealous! I'm glad you had so much fun. And I understand about the lagoon thing as well. I used to love roller coasters. Now I just feel like I'm pregnant on them and I don't enjoy them so much.