September 18th, 2010 was my due date to have our sweet little baby, and I was sure I would go over that date, but he has been here for nine days now. Thats right if you did not already know. James Merrill Furniss made his entrance into this world nine days early on September 9th, 2010. weighing in at 7 lbs. 15 oz. and measuring 21 inches long.
The Story
(This is a long story, so don't feel like you need to read it. It is mostly for me to remember what happed.)
On September 8th, 2010 I went to my weekly appointment. This was the first time they had checked me and I was dilated to a two. This was exciting because I did not dilate with Ethan until the day before having him, but it still did not look like the baby would be coming anytime soon. It had not dropped yet and I had not thinned very much. I went home did normal day to day things then went to a end of summer Relief Society party that evening. I assured everyone that I would not be having the baby anytime soon and would probably even be late just like Ethan was. The ladies in the ward gave lots of advice on how to start labor then I went home. Jeremy and I put Ethan to bed and then sat down to watch a movie. We went to bed and were talking. Than all of the sudden I felt wet. I knew my water had broke, but I told myself that maybe I just had an accident. I ran to the bathroom, so that I would not get the bed wet. Ya, I was sure. My water had broken. I kept telling myself this is not happening. I am not ready yet. I still have over a week until this baby is suppose to come. I am not done deep cleaning my house, I have not got my hair cut and I don't even have a bag packed or the car seat put in the car. Jeremy was of course concerned because I had just jumped out of bed, ran to the bathroom and had still not come out.
My doctor said that if my water broke and was clear I could stay at home for one to two hours until I started to have some contractions. I told Jeremy that my water had broken, but we still had a few hours before we had to go to the hospital because I did not start having contractions until after my water broke and they were still mild. Jeremy got up and we got the car seat in the car, called Jeremy's dad who was going to watch Ethan while we were in the hospital to tell him that it was time, so he could drive up from Pocatello to get Ethan, packed a bag packed for me and for Ethan. Then I took a shower, (I had already wet through two different outfits and was feeling really dirty. I know some doctors say your not suppose to shower after your water brakes, but mine said it would be okay), and got ready to go.
The last things to do were take a last pregnant photo because I had not done that yet. Jeremy also gave me a blessing. I can't remember what he said, but it always brings me peace to have a blessing. Then took Ethan from his bed where he was sleeping and put him in the car. I worried that he would be scared because he went to bed at home then would be waking up some where different.
This is me at 38 1/2 weeks pregnant just before heading to the hospital. I don't look that great, but give me a brake it is the middle of the night.
We met Jeremy's dad at the hospital. (actually just before the hospital we saw him and just pulled over on the road). We got Ethan out of his car seat and said good-bye. It was really sad for me. I know that sounds funny, but I knew things would not be the same after that. That is not a bad thing, but it was kind of sad to know that this part of my life was over. Ethan was no longer my baby. The time that we had to spend just the two of us was over. I guess Ethan stayed awake the whole way to Pocatello then went right to sleep. We are so thankful to Jeremy's dad for coming to get Ethan in the middle of the night and watching him when we were in the hospital.
Finally we got the the hospital and headed in. As soon as I stood up I soaked. By the time I got into the hospital my paints were drenched and water was running down my leg. I know way too much info. I was so embarrassed, but Jeremy just kept telling me it was dark and in the middle of the night. We were in a hospital so it was okay. It was 2:20p.m. when we got into a room and I changed. They let me put my clothes in a garbage bag. The look on there faces was like they had never seen anything like this before. (I know they must have, but that is not how they acted. The first thing the nurse said when she came in was I herd you were drenched. She sounded amazed.) My doctor was next door delivering another baby, so they let her know I was hear. They got all my info. and tested to make sure it was amniotic fluid. The nurse and I both laughed at this because if it was not I really had a big problem. Then they hooked me up the the monitors, put in an IV, and drew some blood. This was not the most fun part as the nurse was having a hard time getting it and finally had to have someone else come get my blood. You should have seen the bruising on my arm when I left the hospital. The nurse said I was still only dilated to a two, but that I was having lots of contractions.
They told me I could move around as long as I stayed hooked to the monitors, (I had to be on the monitor the whole time because I was high risk after having Ethan emergency c-section), but the rocking chair in my room was broken so it was really hard to rock in and the monitors would move and they would have to come put them back, so I tried to sit on an exercise ball, but the same thing happened. Finally, I drank my orange juice they gave me. (Thank goodness they let me have it I was really hungry.) and decided to try and get some rest before the contractions got worse and I could not sleep. Thankfully all the chairs and couches make out into beds, so Jeremy had some place to sleep.
I did not really get much sleep because of the contractions, but I was resting. My doctor came in after delivering the other baby around 5:20 a.m. and said I was still at a two, so they got me started on pit around 5:40 a.m. The pit made the contractions come harder and faster. I tried to just breathe through them and thought about Ethan. It is funny how I could be in a painful situation and all I am worried about is if Ethan was being good while his grandpa watched him and how things were going to change for him and all of us. Jeremy on the other hand was having no problems sleeping (so she thought). At 7:40 a.m. the nurse said I had only progressed to a three. I felt like I was too tense and if I could just relax I would be able to progress. My whole body was shaking uncontrollably. I knew I was going to have to have an epidural some time, so I decided that now would be a good time. The nurse called the anesthesiologist and he came in. After discussing it with him I got my epidural. They were worried that it would make me progress even slower, or wear off, but gave me one anyway. It took the edge off and I stopped shaking, but for what ever reason I could still feel the contractions and move my legs quite well.
Jeremy called his work to tell them he would not be coming into work today. A little after 8 a.m. the doctor came in to put internal sound monitors in because I was a high risk delivery. This was good because I could take the outside monitors off and not have to worry about them going off every time I made the slightest movement. The only problem is it is painful for them to put them in and that is why they wait until you have an epidural. Unfortunate for me the epidural was not working so well, so it was very unconformable. The doctor and nurse could not figure out why it was not working for me and kept telling me to push the button to give myself more drugs. It still did not work. I really did not know why it was not working ether because when I got an epidural with Ethan I could not feel anything until it wore off. Then they gave me some more and I felt nothing again. I really did not mind because the the contractions did not hurt to bad with the epidural, and I thought it may help me progress faster. I was right. The next time they checked me I was dilated to 7 cm.
The rest of the day I just waited as I slowly progressed. (I am really good at having contractions, just not at dilating. At one point they had to cut back on the pit because I was having contractions too close together and the baby didn't have time to recover, and still it takes me forever to dilate.) I could not really sleep like they told me to because of feeling the contractions. I watched some sports channels because that is what Jeremy was watching. We also played phase ten. The problem was we kept getting interrupted by nurses rushing into my room because the babies heart rate would drop. They would make me move around until it came back up, put oxygen on me to help the baby recover, give me juice and power aid to drink because the sugar would make the heartbeat come up. It was kind of making me worry because I had the c-section with Ethan because his heart rate dropped so low. The thing is that with Ethan his heart rate was fine until it was time to deliver. No problems during labor. They told me they thought the baby was siting on his cord and making his heart rate drop, so that is why I had to be in certain positions were the baby was off of the cord. Around 1:20 p.m. they had to give me something (I can't remember what it was) because my water had broken so long ago that they did not want things to dry up I guess. Shortly after that I started to run a fever, so they had to give me antibodies. I had a lot of stuff running into my arm through that IV.
At 3:30 p.m. They told me that I was about ready to start pushing. I told them that I could still feel my contractions so the anastesiologest came in and gave me some more drugs. I was mostly worried about the epidural not really working and having another emergency c-section. I am sure they would check to see if I was numb, but I have heard of women who are not numb and they start cutting. I did not want this to happen to me. By 4:10 p.m. I started pushing. The bad thing was that just before I started pushing I got overwhelmingly tired. All I wanted to do was go to sleep. Not good when it is time to push. They told me the baby was face up just like Ethan. Not what I wanted to hear. They said it would take quite a lot of pushing to get this baby out because it was like the first time having a baby because Ethan came c-section and because he was face up not down like he should be. I could feel the contractions, but it was actually helpful. Not being able to feel anything while I pushed with Ethan was hard. I felt like being able to feel the contractions made it easier to push. The good thing was that even though we had been having problems with the babies heart rate all day. The whole time I was pushing his heart rate was good, so no problems there. (Just the opposite of Ethan. His heart rate was good until I started to push then it dropped).
The longer I pushed the more I could feel and I started to shake again. The doctor just kept telling me that I should not be feeling anything, but then she would say you must be feeling it all. I did get to see the babies head in the mirror when it crowned. (I did not know if I would want to see what was going on down there, but it was kind of cool). Jeremy kept trying to put a damp wash cloth on my forehead, but I really did not like that. This is the only time I got even a little upset with him. I think that is pretty good. I know he was just trying to help, but it was not helping. Finally they asked me if I wanted to use the vacuum. They said it would only save me pushing for another half hour, but I had already been pushing for an hour and a half and it sounded good to me. The doctor came in to give me my third epidural, but it did not help. They only used the vacuum on one contraction then I finished pushing him out. The vacuum made me have a second degree tair and made it hurt a lot, but it was better than pushing for another half hour. After they used the vacuum and I was just pushing they kept telling me to push slower. I tried, but all I wanted was to get that baby out. At 5:37 p.m. our baby entered this world. This is the only time that I really like to hear my babies cry. He sounded good. The doctor asked Jeremy if he was going to tell me if it was a boy or a girl and he said he did not see. Finally (it was only like 3 seconds) he tells me it is a boy! I was so exhausted and just happy he was hear safe and sound. Jeremy got to cut the cord this time. (Because of the emergency c-section with Ethan Jeremy was not able to cut his cord). They took the baby away to clean him up and get all his stats. while the doctors showed me the placenta, (Another thing I never thought I would want to see.),and stitched me up.
First photo of James
I am glad I did not know this was going on, but Jeremy did. Our little boy just layed while the nurses were getting his stats. They were shaking him and trying to get him to respond, but it took a while before he would move.
I think having a baby is just as hard on Jeremy as it is on me. Just in different ways. It was very emotional for him with Ethan and it was no different this time. It is really hard for him to see me in pain and worry about if I will be okay and if the baby will be okay. I never think about how he is doing until after it is all over and I can see how hard it has been on him. I told him I think we will have to stop having kids because of him, not because of me. (We are planning to have more children just not right away). You've got to love how much he cares and loves me and our sons.
They took the baby to the nursery because he was having some grunting breathing problems just like Ethan had. Jeremy went with them. He was back soon so that I could feed him and they said he was doing fine not to worry about his breathing. We named him as you know James Merrill Furniss. They also brought me dinner, but I was so tired and still shaking quite a bit that I could barely eat anything. Jeremy kept insisting that I call my mom because she would be worried. I kept telling him that she did not even know we were at the hospital and the baby was not due for nine more days. I was sure she was not worried and that I was so tired. I wanted to wake up first, but I called anyway. I am sure I sounded a little out of it. She was of course surprised and happy. Thanks to my mom for calling and e-mailing the rest of my family so I did not have to worry about doing that. Jeremy then called his parents who were actually worried because they knew we were in the hospital. They were happy to know James made it here safe and that we were all doing okay.
James first bath in the hospital.
After the bath
After having the most wonderful bath, (James and I got to have bathes), and getting all cleaned up they moved us to a recovery room.

Here we are recovering. I don't know how some ladies do it. they looks so good after having a baby. Not me!
We stayed in the hospital an extra night because we had to stay twenty four hours anyway and that would put us checking out late in the evening. It was nice that they make the rooms so Jeremy could stay also. He was going to go get Ethan, but his parents said it was okay if he stayed. They were going to a Kenny Rogers Concert at the Eastern Idaho State Fair, but Jeremy's Sister Mandi said she would watch him. (Thanks Mandi!)


A few photos of us the day after he was born.
We just tried to relax until it was time to go home. The only other complications were that James did get a little bit of a fever Friday night, but it went away quickly. I don't know if this is a complications, but after going to bed Friday night I woke up because I could hear a little kid in the hall saying mommy mommy daddy daddy. It sounded just like Ethan until I heard his dad running after him and taking him back to where every they had come from. I sure did miss Ethan and was ready to see him.
Going home outfit.
The three of us ready to go home.
Saturday morning we checked out, picked up some prescriptions for me, grabbed some lunch, then headed home.


3 comments:
WOW!!! I am so happy for you guys! So happy everyone is healthy and well! Congratulations!!!!
Congrats!! He is adorable and you look great!! I love reading birth stories so thanks for posting :)
congrats Heather!!! I am so happy for you!! Sorry...it's been a long time since I have gotten on the blogging world...but still superly excited for you!!
Post a Comment