Sunday, July 1, 2012

Girls vs. Boys

I feel I need to clarify something: I am completely excited that our next baby is going to be a little girl. I think that when people say that we must be so excited my reaction may not make them think that I am excited, but I really am. I am mostly excited that things look normal and healthy with this baby, but I am also excited to add pink to all the blue in our house. I am excited bring a little more balance to our mostly male home. I am excited that I will now get to experience all those things that come with a daughter that I would not be able to with my sons. Most of all I am excited to get to know this little spirit that God has chosen to send to our family, boy or girl. 

  I think my less than enthusiastic reaction to telling people we are having a girl comes from what they say after. "You must be so glad you are finally getting a girl." Before we knew it was a girl and even when we were expecting James people would say. "I bet you hope its a girl." or "If this one is a girl you can just be done because you will have one boy and one girl." Right after having James we were even getting the "I bet you really hope then next one is a girl." I just want to know what is so wrong with boys, or is it just my boys people are less than excited about? I know girls are great too, and I am loving the thought of this little girl, but would it really have been that bad if we were having another boy? (Maybe we are. Nothing is 100% yet.)

I love being a mom to boys. It has been so much fun, and full of energy. How many moms get to be Wonder Woman everyday? (Not so many women super heroes, so I mostly stay Wonder Woman even though they change who they are daily or hourly.) I still get loves, hugs and kisses. They pick me flowers and make me little gifts. We play dress up (Just in super hero customs not dresses), and play pretend. Bonus: boys are cute with out having to do hair or put on accessories. I love my boys and would not trade ether of them for a little girl.

On that note I want to say that I am excited to have a chance to add to my pretend playing skills with a little girl, and I know that I would never trade this little girl for a boy. I know God sends us the children we need and the once that only we can help, boys or girls. When we were pregnant with Ethan I thought I wanted a girl, but I am so happy God new I needed this sweet and stubborn little boy. Then when we got pregnant with James I thought it may be nice to have one of each. I am so thankful God new that Ethan needed a brother and I needed my cuddly and determined second child. With our third baby I have had more faith in our Heavenly Father and how well he knows me. I really thought this baby would be a girl, but knew what ever God sent would be just what our family needed. And if this baby is born and is not a girl, but a boy it will be because that is who is supposed to be in our family. We will be excited to welcome them into our home.

Also, we are not having another baby because we wanted a girl. We are having another baby because we wanted and felt like we should add another child to our family. I hope our kids will always know that we loved and wanted them for who they are. That we were not hoping for someone else. We were hoping for them. Boy or girl, with any problems them may have, and with their individual personality.

Some of this probably comes from watching people not be able to have children, and just wanting a baby. I think it is kind of  unfair. Some people can have children so easily that they get upset that they are not having a girl, or they are not having a boy. Then other people just want a child to love and can't have one. I feel so very blessed to be able to have children of my own.

Just so you know I have said to people before that "I am sure they are so happy to finally be having a girl."  Also, Jeremy I think really wanted a little girl and may have been disappointed if we were having a boy. This is just something I have been thinking about a lot lately. 


Some of my enthusiasm about having a girl is accompanied with some sadness. (Like all things in my life right now.) I really miss my mom and know she would have loved her first granddaughter. It is really hard to think about this little girl coming with out my mom here, and that she will never now her grandma. I have been trying really hard to keep life some what normal for my family and still always dealing with losing my mom (Unfortuantly also dealing with all the bills, insurances, unanswered questions, etc. that gets put on top of the already unbearable fact that my mom died.) that it kind of catches me off guard when people ask what what I have done to prepare for our little girl. or when I am going to have a baby shower. When I say I have not really thought about it that is not becasue I am not excited. I have just been so busy trying to keep going that I really have not thought about it. I guess it is time to start. 


I guess what this long post is really trying to say is I am so greatful to be the mom of two little boys and a little girl on the way. 

4 comments:

wendy lee said...

What beautiful words Heather, we are excited for you too. I feel the same way even though I joke about wanting a girl so bad, I love my little boys and they are easier to get out the door to church than my girls!

Mark & Shayla said...

I could not agree with you more! Really beautifully written.

michele said...

I love your little family that will soon be getting even bigger. Hope to see you soon. Can't wait to give Ethan his birthday present.

Carlin said...

Aw, made me cry. I had no idea you were having a girl! That is exciting:) Your mom would have loved to be here with her. She would have sewed her all kinds of cute little dresses and loved her to pieces. I'm sure she is enjoying her private one on one time with her in heaven, though. You really are Wonder Woman for doing all you do.