Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Labor Day Weekend

We had a fun weekend celebrating the unofficial end of summer. We started Friday afternoon by going to the Rexburg splash park after naps. 
When Jeremy got off work he joined us. The boys were done playing in the water by then and ready to ride the Centennial Carousel. This was the first time James has been on a carousel.
 We also let the boys play at the play ground, and chase the squirrels. Ethan picked up a pine cone and showed it to the squirrel. Then yelled to him to come get the food. He looked at me and explained that squirrels eat pine cones. James of course had to do what Ethan was doing. Unfortunately the squirrel did not come down. 


 We then enjoyed all the smells and sounds of the Rexburg farmers market and got a little snack.

Ethan had better luck getting the ducks at the Rexburg Nature Park to come when he called them. One of the great things about little, and big, boys is they don't really care what they are throwing. Once we were out of bread they found plenty of rocks to throw. Don't worry they did not throw the rocks at the ducks. Ethan also liked climbing a tree, so long as he did not go to high.
 Saturday Jeremy helped a family in our ward move then came home to mow our lawn. Thankfully all day did not have to be like that. My sister Tami came up to take the boys to the park and then to feed the ducks at the Green Belt in Idaho Falls while Jeremy and I went to the temple. Then we had Tami over for dinner and to play, until her husband Jayson got off work.

Sunday was church and lots of rest so we would be ready for our big day on Monday.

We left our house on Monday around 10 a.m. for the Southeastern State Fair and did not get home until around 8:30 p.m. What a long day, but so fun. We did not even make it to the gate of the fair grounds before we had our first ingery. We only brought our single stroller, but Ethan insisted on trying to ride on the front of it. He fell off and scraped is elbow. So we decided to take the front tray off to give him more room to ride with James. (This actually worked really well.) The tray can be a little hard to get off. Jeremy was pulling on it. When it came loose it hit Ethan in the eye and cut open his eye lid. Yep, not even in the fair yet.

You can't really see Ethan's eye or elbow cuts, but they are there.
There were so many things to do at the fair, and so much of it is free. In fact we were busy all day and only spent money on the yummy food, (Philly cheese steak sandwich, fry bread taco, cinnamon pull-apart ala'mode, lemonade slushy, hamburgers, corn dogs, polish corn dogs, funnel cake), its only once a year right? We saw some great free shows like Michael Swenson the Hypnotist, Matt Baker's stunt show, Live Shark Encounter, and Rocket's K-9 comets frisbee dog show (This was the boy's favorit and we watched it twice. They are now trying to teach our dog Cowboy to be a frisbee dog.). The boys liked walking through the animal barns, and the petting zoo. They also had fun areas to just to play in like super science company and the birthday party barn. It is fun to collect all the free stuff as we walked through and saw all the vendors and the barns full of competition items.

We did have one very scary moment. We were going through the vendor barns and James had been getting fussy. Jeremy was carrying Ethan and I was pushing the stroller with James in it. He was not strapped in. I thought he had just got really quiet, or fallen asleep as I was walking around looking. Then Jeremy asked me were James was. I had no idea. What a good mom I am. I did not ever see him get out of the stroller. We looked around and I was headed to report to security that we had lost him. I just kept thinking how will we ever find him at the fair? As I walked out of the barn a lady from our church called my name and said James was with them. They had seen him just walking around and took him to a bench to sit down.  I am sure he was not gone that long but it seemed like forever. I don't think it was even long enough for James to be scarred or know that I was about to die worrying about him. I am so grateful someone we knew found him.

Finally asleep after getting lost
Besides that it was a great day!

3 comments:

michele said...

You guys have been busy. I'm jealous about the delicious fair food. Brandon doesn't like fair food so we shared a tiger ear and he ate part of my dutch oven potatoes and pork and that was it. There is nothing scarier than losing a child. What a blessing that someone you knew found James.

Jordelle said...

Oh, I miss the fair. One thing we tried to do here, but we couldn't make it b/c of Gwyn's birth. Next year though, we will be there.

Yup, love the fair food, and you look so cute pregnant! I am sad to not be there to see your little one when she is born. But you look so cute!

I hate it when I lose a child, it is such a nerve racking experience. Egh. Glad all was safe and sound.

wendy lee said...

Oh, I had not heard about Ethan getting hurt or James getting lost. SO so scarey, I can totally understand and what a tender mercy that someone from your ward found him. It happens so easily and quickly. How far away did they find him? It was so fun to see you guys at the fair, wish we had gotten there sooner to see as much as you guys did. Happy Birthday James, and can't wait to have your little girl arrive!