Every year the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints runs a campaign called LIGHT the WORLD.
You are supposed to light the world in 25 ways over 25 days in December. Every year we start out strong, but have never been able to do all twenty five days. This year was no different, but I guess something
than nothing.
December 1st: Giving Tuesday
Give like Jesus did. Make a donation to charity, or volunteer with a local nonprofit and post a link so others can participate.
Jeremy and I gave money to Operation Underground Railroad.
We gave our kids a choice if they would like to donate and Ethan and James chose to. They chose to donate to CWS Global and help kids in Kenya go to school by paying for two students enrolment fees.
December 2nd: Hero Highlight
Who represents Christlike love to you? Highlight them on social media.
My Grandma Neibaur is love. She served and loved and taught her whole life. I could give many examples of her Christ like love, but I will just give one. My Grandma lost much of her memory at the end of her life. She did not always know who I was, but she always greeted me with a hug. She would tell me she loved me, or that I was beautiful. Then sometimes she would look at me and say "remind me who you are." I would tell her and get another hug and told how happy she was to see me. Even with out her memory she was still sharing Christ light because she lived a life that it just became who she was. I think it is how Christ would treat people and wants us to treat each other. Hug and love people first. Ask questions second. #lighttheworld
Help others feel peace as Jesus did. Post a picture or video to social media that brings you peace and calm.
December 4th: The Christ Child
Jesu's birth brought hope. Watch The Christ Child, screenshot a moment that gives you hope, and share why on social media.
As I watched the video "The Christ Child" it gave me hope. Mary and Joseph seemed unsure and a little scared as they prepared to journey to Bethlehem, but they pressed on. Once in Bethlehem it became clear that Mary was about to give birth and the only place they had for her was a stable. I am sure both Mary and Joseph were more than a little scared and unsure at this point. I love the looks of resolve and determination on their faces. It is almost as if a small amount of calm came over them. Their situation did not change, but their resolve to do what God had asked of them brought hope, calm and peace. This gives me great hope in my own times of trial. My resolve and determination to follow Jesus Christ in all things and all times, no matter how hard, will not change my situation, but it can bring a sense of calm and peace in those trials.
I was also struck that the Lord did not ask Mary to go through this alone. He sent Joseph. It gives me hope to know that our Heavenly Father does not ask us to go through our trials alone. I am grateful Heavenly Father sent Jeremy to be with me through life's trials. #lighttheworld
If you would like to watch this short film on the birth of Jesus Christ go to http://comeuntochrist.org/light-the.../the-christ-child
December 6th: Fast Relief
Fast as Jesus did. Go with out a meal or two and donate the cost to a food charity. Share a link to the charity.
Jeremy, Ethan, James, Grace and I fasted and payed our fast offerings. We also gave money to care. We were able to provide send home meals for kids here in the United States for when they are not in school.
December 10th: Light The Family Tree
Like Jesus, you can honor those who came before. Learn about one of your ancestors and share their story on social media.
This is my Grandpa Golden K Avery. When I think of my ancestors I don't think about my Grandpa. He was a living person who was a part of my life. Not someone we told stories about, but he passed away 12 1/2 years ago. The month before my first child was born. None of my kids knew him, so it should not surprise me that when I asked my kids about an ancestor they remembered a story about they said their Grandpa who worked on the Rail Road.
My Grandpa worked hard everyday of his life. Not just on the Rail Road, but also on his beef cattle farm. Even when I was in High school he was running after cows along with us. He was not the warm cuddly grandpa. He showed he cared about us through service. We knew he loved us. He did not have a lot to say, but what he did say you listen to. My Grandpa was not a church going man, but we prayed before every meal and he supported my Grandma, his kids and grandkids in their church activities. He was proud of the choices we were making and the lives we were living.
I am blessed to be his granddaughter. #lighttheworld2020
December 11th: Words of Love
Be mindful of those you love, like Jesus was. Send your favorite book to a faraway friend.
We went through our books and donated 99 books to our school for their school book sale. Kids can buy books and everything was under a dollar. The money raised helps the school library buy new books.
December 12th: Pay It Backward
Show gratitude like Jesus did. Think of someone who served you and return the favor.
James and I shoveled all of our neighbors sidewalk and driveways because they do so much to help us.
December 12th: Shop With Care
Jesus cared for his community. Support a local business. Make a holiday purchase, buy a gift card or post a positive online review.
December 13th: Treat Time
Share as Jesus did. Make treats. Drop them off to a friend.
Took treats to our neighbors and friends.
December 13th: Serene Sunday
Take time to reflect like Jesus did. Tune out distractions and find a quiet place to think about what brings you closer to God.
December 14th: Social Sing and Serve
Gather Together with those you love to sing and serve. Learn more at LightTheWorld.or/sing.
We watched the churches sing along program as a family and did our best to sing along.
December 15th: Love Mom & Dad
Honor your parents (or a parental figure in your life.) Call them, visit them, and post about them on social media.
Although my appreciation for all my parents, Wayne and Trish Avery, did for me has grown now that I am a parent. I don't think I will ever completely comprehend the magnitude of the sacrifices they made for me.
My parents taught us how to work, the importance of family, and to live the gospel of Jesus Christ. Correcting us when necessary. Loving and supporting us always.
My life has been truly blessed to have been raised by these two wonderful people. #lighttheworld
December 19th: Christmas Dinner
Just like Jesus, you can feed the hungry. Make a donation to local food bank or drop off food to someone who could use it.
I was able to help deliver Christmas dinner boxes from our ward to members who are struggling a little this year. Not just for health reasons, but also illness and lost of loved ones.
December 24th: Christmas stories
Make time for children like Jesus did. Read a beloved Children's story to a child.
I love reading to my kids and on Christmas Eve I read my kids The Grinch and The Night Before Christmas, and Luke 2.
December 27th: Together Time
Invite as many family members as you can to get together for a virtual hangout.
Jeremy's cousin Jenni and his sister organized a family zoom meeting. We updated on each family and also talked about family history.















No comments:
Post a Comment